Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fairy Tales Do Come True...In Cartoons

Last week, I came across Under Lock and Key, a fabulous personal blog by Trishie. Her Blast from the Past post reminded me of how much I loved Disney Classics. I must have watched those fairy tales a million times! and I realize they were, and still are, one of the Joys of Life. Below are some of what I loved about my favorite Disney Classics:
When I heard that Snow White was produced in the ‘30s, I could hardly believe it. I loved the movie! The dwarves were so amusing, and I was actually scared of the wicked stepmother. It was probably my first horror movie because the scene with the shiny red apple was so intense for me. But I’ve always wondered how possible it was for someone to fall in love with someone else who is sleeping, in the space of minutes. But that’s why it’s a fairy tale I suppose. Particularly of note for me were the 7 dwarfs- they were fascinating!
Cinderella will always have a special place in my heart. I watched that movie a lot more than I watched the others. I could sing along to all the songs! The mice were awesome, I wished I had a fairy godmother who looked exactly like Cinderellas’, and her dress got me green with jealousy. No matter how many times I watch the different adaptations of the story, I’ll still be willing to watch many more.
Beauty and the Beast, along with Cinderalla, is probably my favorite Disney story. It’s also the most believable love story among the fairy tales, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much. Beauty and the Beast actually got to know each other, and their love wasn’t on first sight, it grew into something beautiful… with the help of kitchen utensils of course. I must have rewinded the scene where the Beast turned into the prince a thousand times - he made me swoon.
John Smith introduced me to the world of beautiful men. I couldn’t get over how perfect he was- right down to his energetic attitude. I think he stole the show from Pocahontas…for me anyway. The part 2 was terrible, but Pocahontas is an inspiration for all female leaders. Also, I loved the song ‘colors of the wind’.
Sleeping Beauty was a real beauty to me. And I absolutely loved the scene where she met the prince for the first time. Another scene I’ll always remember is where her 3 guardians were trying not to use magic to make her a birthday cake and gown. It was hilarious. The finale was really action packed, and I could watch it over and over and over…
The Little Mermaid is probably the cutest Disney princess ever. I loved her hair. Absolutely loved her hair. She got me interested in the myths about mermaids, and somehow, fins started looking sexy. If I were a guy, I would totally Kiss The Girl a thousand times over. The witch octopus was terrible and pretty scary, for real. She gave me a lot of heartaches cause of all her antics!
When I think of Aladdin and Jasmine, the first thing that comes to mind is a flying carpet. Imagine if you were on a date with a handsome rugged young man, on a flying carpet, watching the stars fly by. Tell me, why oh why won’t you fall in love like Jasmine did? And if only the Genie wasn’t blue, I would have fallen for him too. Wasn’t he just adorable?
Alice in Wonderland was a bit confusing the first time I watched it, and I never liked the way it ended. It seemed as if it didn’t really have an end. But I really liked Alice (she was so cute), and her famous Tea Party.
My best character in Peter Pan was Tinkerbell. She was so cute, funny, and mischievous. I totally understood her. Hook was also really interesting, and I loved all the scenes that had the tick-tocking crocodile.

Photo Credit: We Heart It
Related Posts with Thumbnails